Wednesday, October 12, 2022

Episode 1 - Mr. Kokkuri - Part 2

Don't forget to read the first part if you haven't!


In the last part, we see the first meeting between our protagonists and their first embarrassing mistakes too. Thankfully, that lead to the discovery of a... piece of evidence? Now, we'll decide if Junya will show it to his chief, and maybe lose his job in the process, or not. Let's begin, shall we?


Dealing with the Piece of Paper

Is this piece of paper related to the case?
             >It might be.
    >It can't be.
   
Considering what we saw in the opening, probably.
             >It might be.


If it is related, what is the connection?
                         >It's evidence left by the culprit.
   >I currently don't know.
   
If the culprit cursed the victim, them leaving this behind would make sense, but uhh... I don't think the Chief would believe in curses.
   >I currently don't know.


Then, what do I do with this paper slip?
                           >Try showing it to the Chief. (Conclusion)
        >Put it in my pocket. (Conclusion)
   
You know what? I want to see the big man's reaction, let's just do it.
       >Try showing it to the Chief.

...Obviously, I should show this to the Chief.
After all, I am a police officer and I have an obligation to follow the rules.
It's not right for a person who is in a position of enforcing the law to break protocol based on a personal opinion. [Oh yeah, true.]
"Chief!" I took the scrap of paper we found and ran to the Chief.


"What's with all the noise!? Didn't you learn in school that you're supposed to be quiet in the library, you!?"
...Is it an exception when you yell at me? Although I had never heard of such a rule, my first priority now was to show him the piece of paper I had found.
"Chief, we found this thing, but..."
"What is this?" The furrows in the Chief's brow grew stern.
"I thought this may have been evidence..." I sounded unsure of myself.
"What proof do you have that this is evidence? Tell me!" His angry reply was practically a threat.
I have no way of proving this to be evidence. In retrospect, I found myself regretting letting the Chief see it.

[I forgot to take a photo here, so I had to backtrack, oops!]

Would it be better for me if I backed down...?
       >Apologize and withdraw.
                               >Assert that this is evidence left by the criminal.
   
Since I committed a mistake, Junya should make one too!
                                  >Assert that this is evidence left by the criminal.
"This is evidence left behind by the culprit!" ...I ended up declaring.
Out of nowhere, a sighing voice leaked out. Followed by a murmur of "What an idiot", which I'm sure was meant to be an inner thought.
But, I agree with that opinion. I think I'm an idiot too.
"I see. It's evidence left by the culprit. Then, of course, you must have a good idea of who did it, don't you?"
The sharp eyes of the Chief pierced straight through me.
"How is this piece of paper evidence? Foxes and dogs! It's just a doodle, nothing more!"
"Or what!? You think the culprit was a fox or a dog---"


The section chief, who had been raging like wildfire, suddenly showed signs of extinguishing. "A dog... If it was a dog...?"
"Chief? Is something wrong?" I carefully watched the situation to not stir the hornet's nest.
"...No, it's nothing. Enough with this. You go on your investigation of the school building. Try not to trouble people."
Although he was still sharp-tongued, he wasn't angry anymore, so I was acquitted of all charges.
I tucked the piece of paper back into my breast pocket, feeling a little confused.
There is no need to jump back into the flames that I've just escaped.


The school building was empty. This was due to the school administration's decision to close down the school for fear of the incident being leaked out.
The students apparently followed the school's gag order and went home quietly. However, this effect cannot last for long.
They may be alright as long as they are scared of the incident, but embellished rumors of this kind are bound to spread eventually.
"It's pretty empty, isn't it, sir?" Perhaps feeling the awkwardness of walking in silence, Mr. Kogure spoke.
After leaving the library, we set out to investigate the school building. We really wanted to talk to the students, but there was nothing we could do if no one was around.
Well, accosting them even if they were here would be difficult still. Why? Because this is a school.
Private institutions, especially schools, are very delicate places.

[I forgot to take a photo here too, but this time backtracking can't help me...]

It's not like in TV dramas, where you can just wave your ID in front of a person and do whatever you want. The reality is, we police officers cannot act without a search warrant. 
Moreover, the students at Hanamine High School are all under 20 years of age and thus are protected by the law, regardless of their involvement in this incident.
That is what we call the "Juveline Act".


For example, suppose a police officer asks a student a question. Even if the police officer was not questioning the student, but merely asking a question, what would the people around them think?
"He was being questioned by the police."
"He must have done something wrong."
What would happen to the student's future if such gossip were allowed to circulate?
In recent years, with crimes being committed at ever younger ages, attitudes toward the Juvenile Act are changing and, setting aside those who have actually committed crimes, innocent children must be protected.
Therefore, we police officers should never take actions that could easily deprive children of their future.
But still---
Even though it is still early afternoon, this empty school building feels uncanny. Schools have undeniably been associated with eerieness.


The school ghost story that was catapulted to stardom, Hanako-san of the Toilet
Chopin's "Raindrop" playing by itself in the music room.
A model of the human body in the science lab that wanders around at night.
The statue of Kinjiro Ninomiya running around the track.


Every school has its own seven mysteries and ghost stories.
"Um, sir... Why don't we go back?" Mr. Kogure's pale face looked around fidgetily.
I see. So that's why he was so restless earlier.
"You scared?" I asked, tempted by the prankster in me.
"I-I'm not bothered at all! I'm not a bit scared or anything!" An obvious response. It was as if he was declaring that he was afraid.
"It's just that..."
"Just what?"
"I've heard from a colleague that this school... is going to be gone."
[Tremor]
Suddenly, I heard a noise from behind me. Caught off guard, I couldn't speak. My heart was pounding, and my whole body was going into shock.
Mr. Kogure's mouth was flapping like a goldfish's and his eyes were wide open.


The culprit was soon found. There was a girl picking up books scattered in the hallway. I didn't realize that there were still students left in the school building.
Given that she must know about the case, how could she be wandering around alone?
Perhaps relieved to know that he was dealing with a human being, Kogure-san began to pick up books with her. What a kind person he is. I followed his example and picked up the books at my feet.
"Fear and Psychology" By Jeffrey Breitman, translated by Akira Kounoue. [I'm pretty sure this book isn't real.]
This is a 500-page long psychology book.
"Thank you very much." I was impressed by how extremely geeky the book was when the girl greeted me.
Looking around, all the books that were scattered in the hallway are now tucked in the girl's hands.


Apparently, this is the last book, and she is urging me to return it as soon as possible.
"You read some unusual books, don't you?"
"Yeah, well... Who are you guys?" She gave us a suspicious stare.
It's no wonder she reacted like that, considering that some strange men (one of them a big, tough guy) have entered the school. And after an incident like that, it would be even more so.
"Rest assured, we're policemen." Mr. Kogure and I opened up our police handbooks and showed her our IDs.
"Detectives...?"


The girl's expression changed to one of surprise. Perhaps this was the first time she had seen a real detective.
Although it was a coincidental event, it would be fair to say that the student initiated the conversation.
While it might be a bit of forced logic, there are no other students around right now, so I wonder if she would be willing to talk to us...
"I'm Mari Horikawa."
"Eh?"
"My name. You want to ask me about the case, don't you?" She saw right through me.


{Mari Horikawa}--- Her long, straight black hair and rimless glasses give her the air of an honor student.
In contrast to the faint smile on her mouth, her eyes were tinged with a pale melancholy as she gazed at us.
"Questioning me would be a waste. I just transferred to this school this Spring, so I don't know much about it."
"Then, what about Kaori Itou?"


"Ah, she is my {classmate}." I was surprised. An opportunity that I never hoped for jumped out at me.
"About Ms. Itou-"
"I heard she died." She interrupted me, but in a matter-of-fact tone.


"So...? What of it?"
Mr. Kogure and I looked at each other blankly.
Her classmate had died, and she had only this to comment about it.
"W h a t   o f   i t ?"
It's the kind of line that dismisses everything.
Her classmate, who she had known for only a short time, but with whom she had spent many hours studying together, was dead. How could she be so uncaring?
"Now, if you'd excuse me." She ended the conversation one-sidedly before leaving us.


"Haah. Are all kids nowadays like that?"
Kogure-san sighed with an expression of resignation and pity on his face.
"Mari Horikawa, huh...?" Her name has been firmly engraved in my memory.


After being ditched by Mari Horikawa, we decided to investigate outside the school building.
This was in line with Mr. Kogure's opinion that it would be pointless to investigate further inside the school building.
There was obviously a different reason for this suggestion, but I accepted my scared partner's proposal anyway, figuring that we shouldn't be at odds with each other from day one.


We circled around the school from the grounds to the back of the building. The back of the campus was so dark that it was hard to believe that it was still daytime.
It is not because the weather is getting worse. It's because the trees are so dense that they encompass the entire area behind the school building.
This woodland--- No, forest sounds more accurate. Is it school property?
While I was admiring the view, Mr. Kogure bent down and whispered in my ear, "Sir, look at that."
When I looked in the direction of "that" he was pointing at, I saw a figure there. With her short hair, it would have been difficult to identify her in plain clothes, but thanks to her sailor uniform, I was able to determine that she was a female student.
It's too far away to see clearly, but she's crouching down and finely maneuvering her hands.


"AH!" A small flame popped from the female student's hand. She had lit a lighter.


I decide to---
         >shout for her to stop.
   >sneak up behind her.
         >try to take a closer look.

I'll stop here. I've been enjoying the more comedic tone of this episode. In the next part, both Junya and I might commit more mistakes, but hopefully not! Seriously though, I need to get myself together for the next post.


Anyway, see you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment