Saturday, October 8, 2022

Episode 1 - Mr. Kokkuri - Part 1


Before we begin this Episode, you must have noticed the new links to the right of this section of the website, right? Well, those are what I call a "table of contents", where you can quickly get all links related to a specific Episode, or see the entirety of the FOAF Database. They'll be very useful for navigating this blog.
Also, I'm very happy with the length of this part, although I may not be able to consistently release posts of this caliber. Either way, let's begin.


No physical explanation could possibly bring the truth of possessions to light.
After all, such delusions are birthed from the actions of the mind itself.


-Enryou Inoue
From the "Lectures on the Study of Youkai"


Friend Of A Friend

...
The phenomenon of something that cannot be measured by common sense taking hold of a human being is called "possession".
Many possession cases are said to be psychiatrically explainable, but not all of them have yet been debunked.


In Japan, the "Mr. Kokkuri" craze was born in the 1970s, and incidents such as mass hysteria in schools were even reported in the newspapers.
For teenage students, this is a simple way to enjoy fortune-telling. The thrilling Mr. Kokkuri is also said to be a suitable communication tool.
However, they know not the great dangers that lurk there---


"Mr. Kokkuri, Mr. Kokkuri, please come forth.
    Mr. Kokkuri, Mr. Kokkuri, please come forth..."


"Hey, let's not do this. If the teacher finds out, we'll get suspended."
"T-that's right. There's also what happened to Narumi, too..."
"What are you talking about? That was Narumi's fault, wasn't it?"
"Yeah. If you two don't want to go through the same thing as Ms. Hasebe, then we should continue."


[The background is what's basically a Japanese version of an Ouija board.]
"Mr. Kokkuri, Mr. Kokkuri, please come forth.
    Mr. Kokkuri, Mr. Kokkuri, please come forth..."


Metropolitan Police Department Unofficial Case Record Ka-23
"Mr. Kokkuri"


[Sound of a police siren]
There was a suicide case. I received this unexpected news shortly after arriving at work.
What was so unexpected about this news was that I work for the Metropolitan Police Department's First Investigative Division---


Yep. I am a detective.


Friday 10:36 AM
Private Hanamine High School

This incident is of personal significance to me. After all, it's my first time going on the scene.
Metropolitan Police Department's First Investigative Division, Lieutenant Junya Kazami. That is my title.
Although my rank is Lieutenant, I've only been assigned to the First Investigative Division for a few months. I'm what's called a "career bureaucrat".
When I announced that I was going to become a detective, my parents were very much against it. I can understand why they wouldn't want their only son to do such a dangerous job, but they didn't have to oppose it so much...
However, I left my parent's house to push through it, and was able to become a police officer.
I have my own reasons for choosing this job, but I don't think my family would understand if I told them.


trembled with excitement before the Hanamine High School, the setting of the crime.
"Okay, let's do it!"


Hanamine High School is a private, preparatory school located in the suburbs. The person who committed {suicide} was {Kaori Itou}, a member of the fourth class of the third grade. She brought the curtain down on her life of 18 years.
In that case, however, that is the jurisdiction of the local police department. This is not the place for the Metropolitan Police Department's First Investigative Division.
Our job is to investigate murders or suspected homicides.
And so, why? Because last Thursday, another suicide by a female student occurred here at Private Hanamine High School.
A series of suicides. This time, the death had some suspicious aspects, so the First Investigative Division was called in to investigate.


But, his complexion was pale, probably due to severe mental fatigue. I suppose it was only to be expected. Two suicides had occurred in just a few days.
The management of this private high school must be desperate to keep this fact from becoming public knowledge. The clothes, which were probably of a luxury brand, looked tired and worn out.
"KAZAMI!" A scream echoed through the library.


The owner of the voice was standing right next to a handmade poster that read, "Let's be calm and quiet."
The Chief of the First Investigative Division, {Noriyuki Sasaki}. My direct superior.


The Chief is a non-career bureaucrat working his way up the police hierarchy. He hates the very sight of a career bureaucrat like me.
Since I was assigned to the First Investigative Department, my only duties were to copy documents and serve tea.
I am still a trainee, so that's not a problem. But why do I have a bad feeling about finally being able to participate in the field I've always wanted to work in?
I don't think I came all the way here just to fetch tea, surely...
"This is Detective Kogure from the Inui Police Department. You are to get information on the first suicide victim. From now on, you will work with Detective Kogure on this case. Understood?"
"Understood, Chief." Last week's incident was treated as just a suicide, so the case was handled by the competent Inui Police Department. ["competent" here means "with jurisdiction".]
Due to the intervention of the First Investigative Division, from now on it will be a joint investigation with the competent police station. That is why you should get along well with the detectives of the competent police station and investigate.
That was my translation of the Chief's words.
However, this is just a pretext. For the members of the First Investigative Division of the Metropolitan Police Department, led by the Chief, the police station with jurisdiction is nothing more than an obstacle.
It's what's called a territorial dispute. Despite us not being cats or dogs, or so I thought.


As silly as it may seem, power struggles and factions exist in this industry, just as in most businesses.
Since we, the First Investigative Division, are here, I want the local police department to quietly back out. That's why a rookie like you is going babysit the nuisance's detective, so he said.
That would be an even more accurate translation of the Chief's words. And if I were to imagine the true meaning of that, it would be, "You're a nuisance too, so get out of my sight."
Now I understand why I was allowed to participate in an investigation.


The Chief introduced Detective Kogure and quickly returned to inspect the scene. I had no choice but to greet Detective Kogure.
"Nice to meet you. I'm Lieutenant Junya Kazami of the MPD's First Investigative Division. My regards."
In response, Detective Kogure takes a step forward and salutes with a snap like a machine.


He's huge. I thought he was just a tall detective, but when he reached within an arm's distance from me, I, without exaggeration, had to look up at him.
I'm 1.72 meters tall, so he must be around 1.9 meters. "I am Sergeant {Souichirou Kogure} of the Inui Police Department! Sir!"
S-sir? He has a military haircut and rough facial features. His huge, well-trained physique is very athletic.
"Judo 3rd Dan, Kendo 3rd Dan, Karate 2nd Dan! Currently single! I am a bit incompetent, but I look forward to working with you, sir!"
What kind of greeting is this guy doing? Agh, my head is starting to hurt.
"Mh? What's wrong, sir?"
"Um, Mr. Kogure. Could you please stop calling me sir? You're much older than me."


"NO!  I am a Sergeant, while you, sir, are a Lieutenant. Rank is absolute." As he said that, he brought his big face close to mine.
"...And although I look old, I'm only 27."
"Eh?"
"Shouldn't that be around the same as you, sir?"
"T-that's true." That surprised me. It's hard to believe he's just a little older than me, his intensity could make anyone believe he worked this job for over 20 years.
"B-but, you are more experienced and older than me, Mr. Kogure..."
"No. I can't do that. Rank is absolute, sir."
...Good grief.
Nevertheless, a non-career becoming a Police Sargeant proves his excellence. Did he accomplish something exceptional?
"What's wrong, sir?" Mr. Kogure looked at me with concern.
"Ah, no. It's nothing."
I returned my thoughts to where they had been. Which of the two suicides should I start with in order to get an efficient account of the situation from Mr. Kogure?


That would be---
              >Naturally, the first incident.
      >The latest case, of course.
   
We'll start from the beginning, as we should.
              >Naturally, the first incident.
"Mr. Kogure, tell me about the first incident."
"Yes, sir. I will give a brief explanation."


According to Mr. Kogure, the first victim is {Narumi Hasebe}. She was a 3rd-year student who committed suicide last Thursday by jumping off the roof after class.
"I was on the scene myself, but at the time I thought it was just a suicide."
"At that time...? Then, did your opinion change after that?" When I asked him, Mr. Kogure's face turned increasingly pale before my eyes.
"Yes, sir... Two days after discovering her body, we performed an autopsy and found that there was abnormally little blood left in her body..."
Last Thursday was a day of heavy rain. The blood must have been washed away by the rain. That was the judgment of Professor Matsura of Kamone University Hospital, who was in charge of the autopsy. Mr. Kogure appealed to his superiors for further investigation, but they rejected his appeal.
"...Is it even possible for heavy rainfall to cause the blood in your body to start rushing out?"
"Well, sir, I thought so myself. But I was told by my supervisor that professional judgment can't be wrong..."
So, the conclusion settled on was suicide. Is it too much to blame Mr. Kogure for his principle of rank absolutism?


I thought about requesting another autopsy from a coroner I know, but it was already too late. According to Kogure, the body had already been sent back to the family and would be cremated.


"Mr. Kogure, could you also tell me about the second suicide?"
"Yessir, with pleasure!" I don't think you should be so pleased.
Mr. Kogure explained that the second suicide victim was Kaori Itou of the 3rd year's 4th class.
Currently, it is believed that the laceration to the abdomen was the direct cause of death.
And, in her bloodied hand, a kitchen knife was clutched tightly...
This was the summary of the serial suicides that Mr. Kogure had told me. After hearing the whole story, I decided to report it to Chief Sasaki.


"Is that so? Then, I want you to write up a report when you get back."
"A report?"
"Yes, a report."
Apparently, whatever I say just goes in one ear and out the other.
I doubt even writing it down on paper will make him remember it.
The body of the second suicide victim, Kaori Itou, has already been removed from the scene and sent for autopsy.
I asked the Chief about the current situation, but got nothing but "oh"s, "well"s, and other gibberish. It seems that I'm still a nuisance to him.
"Um, Chief, I'm concerned about the unusually small amount of blood that was left in the body..."
"Really? It happens all the time" It doesn't happen all the time, you bastard.
It's no good. I can't count on the Chief. I really want to know the results of Kaori Itou's autopsy, but I don't know what to expect under these circumstances.
Even though he is treating me like an obstacle, this is the first case I've ever been involved in. I want to solve it at all costs. Above all, I want to know the reason why those two girls committed suicide.
Why did these women have to take their own precious lives? There is absolutely no way I am going to leave things as they are.
"Chief, I'd like to inspect the school building, if that's all right."
The silence lasted for a while. His suspicious gaze was painful. "...Have it your way."
"Thank you very much!" I bowed my head and left before the Chief could change his mind.
Kogure-san was leaning against a bookshelf waiting for me to finish my report.
Is he in a bad mood? His eyebrows are furrowed and his eyes are closed.
"Mr. Kogure?" It was just a light tap on the shoulder, but Mr. Kogure suddenly lost his balance.


Before I could hold him up, his huge body collided with the floor with a great tremor. The senior members of the First Investigative Division gave us cold looks.
"Ouch..."
"I-I'm sorry, Mr. Kogure."
"I'm fine, sir. Because this sturdy body is my only virtue."
The owner of that sturdy body smiled and forgave me. His expression was no longer grim.
"Heave-ho!" I was about to pull Mr. Kogure's arm up to help him when, "Sir! Wait!"
Laying on his back, Mr. Kogure slinked like a caterpillar and pulled himself up against the bookshelf. 
"Sir, look at this." Mr. Kogure, who had turned into a strange caterpillar, reached out for the second row from the bottom.
It seems something was stuck to the back of a shelf. It was a strange piece of paper with a design on it that I had never seen before.


The four Kanji on the sides of the drawn cage(?) signify dogs. The Kanji on the inside means fox.


"A talisman?"
"Dogs and a fox... But, I've never seen a talisman like this. Maybe it's simply a doodle?"
As he swept the dust from his body, Kogure, who had returned to human form, gave his impressions.
"But why would anyone go to the trouble of posting a doodle like this on the back of a bookshelf? Maybe there's a meaning behind it."
"A meaning...?" Hmm, grunted Mr. Kogure as he folded his arms.
I said it might mean something, but I have no proof either. If Mr. Kogure hadn't collapsed, we wouldn't have found it in the first place.
However, the piece of paper we got from that accidental event felt like something that could not be merely a scribble.
Now, what am I supposed to do with this piece of paper? If it's evidence, I should show it to the Chief...


Let's end here. This Episode has been much more comedic than the other one, which I personally enjoyed, your mileage may vary, however. Next episode, we cause even more trouble!

See you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment