Tuesday, September 6, 2022

Episode 0 - Chain Mail - Part 8 - Alt. Route Start

In the last part, I spoke of redoing some of the early choices. However, after thinking for a bit, I've decided to also change the route taken, so that we distrust the chain mail's story as early as possible. This post will end immediately after the choice though. So consider it more as an interlude than anything. Now, let's begin.


I...
         >  ⬢ Reply just in case.
         >      Stupidly ignore it.
its
Here is the first choice of the episode, if you don't remember it.s context, you can read it here.
Also, notice the red mark? It signifies an already made choice.
         >      Stupidly ignore it.
If I decide to do so, I should delete it immediately. There's no need to be swayed by e-mails like these.
I deleted the chain mail and buried it from memory.

Two days later, at night---
As usual, I went to a nearby convenience store to buy dinner.
Although easy to prepare, the lack of human warmth in the bento [A kind of Japanese lunch box.] emphasizes the dreariness of being a single man living alone.
"Huh? This is strange..."
Usually, I pass by office workers leaving work and students making their way home, but today, there are no people at all.
W-what? Something is wriggling in the darkness.
For some reason, the memory of that chain mail came back to my mind.
...In addition, for those who can't help, please send this e-mail to 10 friends within 3 days.
If you don't send it, you could become the serial killer's next victim...
You could become the serial killer's next victim...
You could become the next victim...
You are the next victim...
YOU
ARE
THE
VICTIM



"What? Didja get an e-mail from her?"
Suddenly, a voice called out to me from behind, and I almost jumped.
"Who's it from? Show me." The Inspector forcibly takes hold of my phone.
"Hoh, I witnessed a serial killer, you say... Laughable."
Huh? This is weird... This conversation, where...
 "I recognize that e-mail! It became a hot topic on the Internet as a new type of chain mail."
It's the same. I've had this same conversation before. I was, here is...
"Chain mail?" Yeah, I reply. Then, Mr. Kogure says...
 "Yes, sir. They are the so-called "letters of misfortune". It's just a prank."
 "Mm? What's wrong, Kazami? Why are you pale in the face?" asked the Inspector, not looking particularly concerned.
 "It's nothing, I just feel like I've had this same conversation before..."


"Ah. That would be "déjà vu"."
 "Déjà vu...?"
 "It's a French word that translates into Japanese as "kishikan". [Literally "feeling of having already seen something".] It is the illusion that you have experienced something before, even though it is your first time."
"Y'know what I'm talking about? It's like when you go on your first trip to a new place, but you feel like you've been there before. Y'know, that."
Déjà vu... huh? It's not a satisfactory explanation, but there's no other way to make sense of it.
I don't think anyone would believe me if I claimed to have gone back in time like if I was in some kind of Sci-fi show...
 "So? What are you going to do, sir?"
 "Eh? What do you mean?"
 "The chain mail. Are you going to reply?"
That's right. That's the main problem. At this point, it doesn't matter whether the terror I experienced was déjà vu or a prophetic vision.


I don't want to see that AGAIN! Without hesitation, I inputted my cell phone number and replied.

From here on, the conversation goes on as usual. I didn't find any new dialogue, so I'll skip directly to the 3rd choice. However, there was only one difference: The next choice did not have the middle option. That was weird, but nothing else changed. Anyway, let's continue.


I should---
                                           >Search for that name in past official criminal records.
                                 >Search for that name in past unofficial case records.
     >Search that name on the Internet

This choice is in the third part. Now, we'll try searching for the name on the official records instead.
                                           >Search for that name in past official criminal records.


Using my PC, I access the official criminal records.
The MPD's database stocks criminal records spanning the past several decades.


If anyone named "Erisa Hattori" has been fingerprinted even once in the past, they should be caught in the database.
Fingerprinting covers a wide range of crimes, from petty crimes to felonies.


This accumulation of information also contributes to the Japanese police's arrest rate.
"Erisa Hattori: No matching data."
So it's not on the official records, huh.
Even if "Erisa Hattori" is a serial killer as she accused, it has been proven they have no past criminal record.
I had high hopes, but if it were that easy, the First Investigative Division would have arrested them a long time ago.
It can't be helped. Let's try a different way.

Same thing here, the dialogue continues as we have already seen. Now, let's jump to the self-question segment.


The Accusation's Authenticity
Firstly, should we assume that the idea of "Erisa Hattori = Miyuki Kawahara" is correct?
                 >It is possible they are the same person.
                 >It may be a different person with the same name.

Let's see what's on the other option.
                 >It may be a different person with the same name.


Why did the accuser call? If I was her, I'd consider it to be a highly risky move to take...
                >She enjoys the danger.
                             >She wanted me to believe her that much.
Since we're going to not trust her, let's go with the first option.
>She enjoys the danger.


So, it's just a prank after all...?
                                    >That's right. (Conclusion)
        >No, that's wrong.
That's right.
>That's right.


That was a prank.
Whether "Erisa Hattori" is actually Miyuki Kawahara or anyone else, if she really knew the true identity of the serial killer, she wouldn't have needed to make such a roundabout phone call.
If she provided more information, I would have believed her. But since she only told me a name and then hung up, I can't believe her.
I ruled her story out as a prank.

In the next part, we'll start the alternative route properly and see an interestingly familiar scene.

See you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment