Friday, August 12, 2022

Episode 0 - Chain Mail - Part 2

 Don't forget to read the first part if you haven't!
[Also, I forgot to add one database entry, I've added it now, sorry about that.]


Hello! Here's a quick summary of what happened last time: We were introduced to the Metropolitan Police Department's secretive 5th underground floor and its assigned officers, Junya (the MC), Kogure (a large-in-figure Police Sergeant), and Indou (an Inspector with a devil-may-care attitude). Suddenly, Junya received a chain mail sent by someone who may have seen the perpetrator of a series of murders that made the news. Now, let's see their reactions to this mysterious e-mail.


"What? Didja get an e-mail from her?"
Suddenly, a voice called out to me from behind, causing me to nearly jump, "N-no!"
"Well, who's it from then? Lemme see."
The Inspector forcibly takes hold of my phone.
"Hoh, I witnessed a serial killer, you say... Laughable."
That's a pretty blunt statement.


"I recognize that e-mail! It became a hot topic on the Internet as a new type of {chain mail}."
"Chain mail?"


"Yes, sir. They are the so-called "letters of misfortune". It's just a prank."
A prank... Indeed, had I really seen the culprit, I would have gone to the police.
The fact they would willingly give out his phone number to people willing to help is also very suspicious.
This e-mail... Is it just a prank? Or could it be...?


I...
         >  ⬢ Reply just in case.
         >      Stupidly ignore it.


Tutorial "Courage Points" - The meter at the top right of the screen gauges what's called "Courage Points".


Some options, like the one highlighted below, are marked with a , and require courage to follow them.


When you run out of Courage Points, you will not be able to choose the options marked with a . [The kanji on the meter means zero/nothing.]
Use a calm judgment to make good use of your limited points and gather information.


I'm not stupid, therefore I must go with the smart man's choice.

 ⬢ Reply just in case.
I entered my mobile number and replied to the e-mail.


"Ah, did you just send something, sir?"
 "You're a fool. Don't be shocked if by tomorrow you'll become popular among one-ring hang-up callers." [A type of caller scam.]
Say whatever you want. I have chosen the path I believe in. 
I've heard that some people have been saved as a result of soliciting blood donations via chain mail.
That's why, if there's even the slightest chance that this e-mail will help catch a serial killer, I'd bet on it.

A few dozen minutes later---


The phone is vibrating, and the same ringtone can be heard as last time.

A phone call, from whom though? The caller chose to withhold his phone number.
I leisurely pressed the call button and returned the call.
"Hello?" "Uh? Hello!?"
It seems the signal's poor.
Well, in the first place, it would be surprising if radio waves could breach the 5th basement floor.
??? - "...Hello..."
At last, a woman's voice comes through the earpiece.
??? - "...The one who replied to my e-mail, was it you?"
I never thought there would be a reaction from the person who sent the chain mail so quickly...
??? - "...Hey, are you listening?"
"Ah, yes! ...Yes, I am." I answered. Looks like I'm getting a bit agitated.
For the time being, I won't identify myself as a police officer in order to see her approach. The woman on the phone, despite my wariness, thanked me.
??? - "Thanks. Most people just don't reply. And the ones that do give their numbers just ridicule me when I call them..."
That's no surprise. I don't think there are many people out there who would willingly give out their phone numbers to total strangers.
Wait, that aside, there is something I need to confirm with her first.


And that is---
                              >     "Did you really see the culprit?"
⬢ "How old are you?"      
               >     "Why didn't you call the police?"


That was quick. I'll skip over the first two and choose the last because the first one doesn't seem like it'll give any good info (she would probably just say, "Yes I did!"), and the second because... uh... it's a waste of resources (you'll never get her bro).

               >     "Why didn't you call the police?"
Why didn't she call the police? If you really did witness a serial killer, wouldn't the first thing you'd do be report it to the police?
Since she didn't or couldn't do that, there must have been a reason for her inaction.
"Did you really see the serial killer?" I asked bluntly.
??? - "Eh...?"
"If you truly saw the murderer, why didn't you immediately call the cops?"
??? - "That's because..."
"Is there something wrong?" I showered questions on her in order to make her fold. [Why?]
??? - "I... I really saw the killer. But..."
"But? But what? If you actually want to stop the killer, please let me know."
[Jesus Christ, Junya...]
??? - "What's up with you? You keep talking as if you can't stop yourself. Who do you think you are?"
"I'm a police officer. My name is Junya Kazami." I gave away my identity with honesty.
"If you think I'm joking, you can come to the MPD at any time."
??? - "You, an officer...?"
It seems she didn't even consider the possibility of a caller ever being part of the police.
??? - "......"
A moment of hesitation, before she slowly began to speak again.
??? - "...Okay. I believe you. You will help me, right?"
"Yes, of course."
??? - "Thank you..."
From the other side of the line, I received kind words directly from her heart.
Just when I thought I could finally hear something from her---
??? - "That's no good. I'm sorry, but I'm out of time, so I'm cutting it here."
"Eeh!?" The abrupt farewell bewildered me.
"The killer! Who is the killer!?"
I may never have another chance to speak to her again, this anxiousness increased the volume of my voice.


"The killer is... {Erisa Hattori}..."

Sorry for the cliffhanger, but sadly, I have to stop here (same problem as last time, I think it's lines instead of images). However, I think I'll be able to post constantly every 4-5 days, so expect the next post soon! Next time there'll be a profile too!

No comments:

Post a Comment